Intro

Welcome to my home brew website containing reviews and information on home brewing from kits. I haven't been making beers and wines for long so I'm still an amateur, however each kit i make and drink I will create a new blog entry. Feel free to comment using the link below. Enjoy the site..

Sunday 3 July 2011

Simple Tea Wine

Simple Tea Wine No1 (Up for a bit of experimenting)

Not something I've done before or would normally do is make wine from scratch I've always brought kits, however this was recommended by Mart!. He said "it's cheap, easy and quick to make and it tastes brilliant. I quickly found a recipe on the web, (the one below) went out and brought the ingredients at lunch time and after work started my first batch of tea wine.


Recipe

Ingredients

1 gallon of tea (16 tea bags)
300 grams of raisins
1.36kg of sugar
The juice from 2 lemons and 1 orange
1 tsp of yeast

Day 1
  1. Sterilise all the equipment first.
  2. Carefully pour 1 gallon of boiling water into a fermentation bin.
  3. Add the tea bags and stir.
  4. Add the sugar, the lemons and the orange juice and stir.
  5. Leave for about 15 minutes (the long you leave it the stronger it will be).
  6. Fish out the tea bags.
  7. When it has reached room temperature add the yeast.
  8. Leave the mixture for a week stirring daily.
After a week
  1. Strain the liquid to remove the raisins and other bits.
  2. Carefully pour into a demijohn sealing it with a fermentation lock.
  3. Leave the mixture until it stops fermenting.
  4. Then bottle it.. leave it in a cool place for about 2 months before drinking it...
I'm currently leaving it for a week and stirring it daily, it smells really nice a fragrant mixture of tea and soaked raisins bubbling and fizzing it's really active, however it's not much to look at yet all the raisins are floating on top. See video "tea wine vid1" below.



Ok it's been a week now, so on Friday I strained the mixture and transfer it to a demijohn sealing it with an air lock. The mixture is a dark amber colour and after about an hour it started bubbling, I will  leave the mixture now until it stop fermenting in a few days 7-20.


Right it's the 25th July 2011 and the wine has stopped fermenting, I've checked the sg which is below 1.000 and have syphoned the wine into six sterilised bottles adding one teaspoon of sugar to each before capping them. The wine bottles are being stored in the kitchen for a couple of days and i will shake each bottle when I'm able, to dissolve the sugar. After two days I'm going to move them into the garage and leave them for a further two months to mature.


 

17 comments:

  1. It's day 4 now and the bubbling has slowed right down on day 7 after straining the mixture into the demijohn, I'm going to measure the sg and depending upon the result i may add a bit more sugar....

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you need to add stabilizer or finnings to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried this and it still wont clear after about 3 months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i mix a drop of the wine with the white of an egg and pour into the demijohn.its always worked for me!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the fruit tea bags. Any kind you can get. Put 15 to 20 in your bucket and pour on boiling water. Leave to infuse for 15 mins remove the tea bags after pressing the on side of bucket. Add 2 pound of sugar 2 Ltrs of red or white grape juice tea spoon of citric acid tea spoon perctolase tea spoon yeast nutrient leave to cool add to Demijon and add yeast.top up to Denijon shoulder and fit air lock. Top up with cool boiled water when initial ferment dies down leave to ferment out. Keep away from the ladies or you won't get to taste it yourself

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pg tips is the strongest tea ive tried and it carys a punch when it ready

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strongest teabags I've had are Tesco everyday value . Currently 25p for 40 bags .

    ReplyDelete
  10. can I add strawberry juice with strawberry essence in my wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can you can add whatever you like

      Delete
  11. Always allow the wine to clear then rack to a sterilised demijohn and bulk mature.

    Check out Saddle Brew on Facebook or YouTube for more ideas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you 🙏 I’m trying this today hope I didn’t do wrong but I added wine yeast and yeast nutrient

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can’t imagine focusing long enough to research; much less write this kind of article. You’ve outdone yourself with this material. This is great content. https://wevino.store/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Continuously i used to read smaller posts that as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with this article!
    friv300online by For18xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi my tea wine has stopped fermenting after 10days will it be ok? What do I need to do next.

    ReplyDelete